The Eisco Garage Physics line is aimed at students aged 7-13 interested in STEM concepts included physics and engineering. Each kit engages the young learner to discover new ideas about the physical world through assembly and play. The kits contain pre-cut wooden pieces that resemble woodworking projects.
The Standing Arch Kit is composed of seven wooden blocks that when properly assembled produce the shape of the catenary arch. This kit engages students to learn engineering concepts such as force balancing and load transfer through the assembly of the arch. The kit shows students how vaulted arches and types of bridges are constructed, and how they are able to bear the weight of buildings and roadways they hold up. By playing with the various blocks, young learners can understand the importance of the keystone in holding up the arch.
The kit includes a hook for the attachment of the hanger and masses from the Eisco Hanging Mass Kit (GP00002) to demonstrate a live load. Alternatively, one can attach a Force Sensor to the hook to measure the amount of weight the arch can hold up.
- Introduces students aged 7-13 to STEM concepts, instructions correlated to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Constructed arch stands 16.5 inches tall and 13 inches wide
- Kit consists of seven wooden (pine) blocks with tight tolerances for a student to create a catenary arch
- Add on mass kit PH02580SS demonstrates how bridges can handle a live load, use Neulog Force Sensor NUL211 and USB200 to take digital measurements
- Comes with instruction manual that includes correlatoin to Next Generation Science Standards